Plan your route to school
One of the biggest changes is that most children will independently travel to secondary school. Many children worry about this, but there are simple steps families can take to ease concerns.
Identify your route here
The KCC have developed a route planner, which will identify your travel options.
- If travelling by train or bus, apply for the passes well in advance
- It’s always a good to discuss and plan an alternative route, just in case circumstances change
- Find a travel buddy
- Trial the route together a few times over the summer holidays, so your child is familiar with what the surroundings look like
- Students can always speak to staff at school if they have any concerns about travelling to and from school
- If they have a phone, make sure that the right phone numbers are stored on there. Agree in advance who they should call in an emergency and include several ‘back-up’ people on the list.