Skip to content ↓

Sports report: Football - Year 10 vs. Hugh Christie

The Hayesbrook Year 10s got their revenge in yet another double-header game against local rivals Hugh Christie Technology College.

In a much anticipated game, Hayesbrook found themselves on the back foot as they were continuously pressured by the pumped up Hugh Christie side in the opening stages of this crucial game. The boys found it hard to settle from the non-stop Hugh Christie pressure. However, a few mistakes from the opposition players allowed the boys to gain possession and start to play their own game. The Year 10s stepped up a gear and started to punish mistake after mistake that Hugh Christie made. Keeping the ball for long spells, the team created numerous chances and finally began to knock on the Hugh Christie door. At last the deadlock was broken close to half time. Some truly amazing work from Sam Babayale on the right flank saw him find a great cross, which was neatly put away by the onrushing Ned Lewis.

Into the second half, the Year 10s started on the front foot. It seemed like the half time team talk was doing the trick. Moments into the second half, Ned Lewis had doubled the advantage. Some excellent work again from Sam Babayale, who found Ned from a pin point cross, Ned showed an exceptional bit of skill to get away from his marker and tuck the ball in the back of the Hugh Christie net. Soon after, Saul pounced on Ben Grover’s clearance and unleashed a shot at the near post to take Hayesbrook’s lead even further. Nonetheless, Hugh Christie got themselves within touching distance of the game. They scored twice in quick succession to bring the tie to 3-2 to Hayesbrook. The boys lost their concentration and didn’t maintain focus, which made them look nervy in the critical stages of the game. At the back, Ben Grover and Mikey Ryan tried not to let Hugh Christie through on goal. Luke Tappy, Joe Statton and Alfie Owen were also putting in a great shift. Tyler Richardson was also having a great game. He was winning tackles, making superb driving runs and providing a great contribution to the team.

In the closing stages of the tie, Ned restored the two goal advantage and completed his hat trick. But Hugh Christie were awarded a penalty late on in the game and converted it calmly to bring the match to a thrilling point. The Year 10s held on till the final whistle to bring a fantastic game to an end. The three points and the place in the next round of the cup is just what the boys wished for.

Well Done Boys!

Final score: Hayesbrook 4 - 3 Hugh Christie